New owner - 2010 nt700v

Manfred

Stuart Brogden
Bike
2010 Honda nt700v
I've been riding motorcycles most of my life, starting when I was in West Germany (my father was in the Army) on a Euro Yamaha 50, 2 stroke with oil injection. 10 bikes later, I've been on a 1985 Honda Sabre 700 for 7 years and have decided to move to something newer. Have a deposit on a 2010 Honda nt700v with 17k miles on it. NT700.png

Welcome. The bike looks nice and clean. There is a lot of good info on this forum from a lot of fine folks.

Arknt

Don't forget to check tire dates. Oh, if only she could talk...

Dealership confirmed new tires are mounted and they rebuilt the forks, to boot.
Except for the crank position sensor, they are really pretty reliable if you take care of them. Honda is pretty good about building replacement parts for a long time. Legally, on a durable good, they only have to support it for 10 years, IIRC and that is a big if. I am glad I had mine for 5-7 years....but knowing what I know now....if I needed a bike because those darned aliens took all of mine, I would by a new Honda 500 but more likely a used 2015 VFR . I guess mine is now used at 13 k miles....I did need to add bar risers, tall screen and luggage rack as well as a throttle lock and tip over bar. Yes, it has a chain. Yes, it has much power, much smoothness and pannier locks that work. Yes, its not top heavy.
chief Jo.jpg

I'm on my 2nd 2010 NT. Mine have both been the faster and superior Silver with ABS. I put 139K miles on #1 (SN 079) before trading it in on my current bike (SN 063). It had about 22K miles when I bought it and I've put another 6K on it. I've only ridden it another 79 miles since '22. My wife had Alzheimer's and died a year ago, and except for that 79 miles in November of '23, I haven't been on it since then. I started riding about a year before I met Joanne in '98. I learned to ride on an '86 Honda Shadow 600, then bought an '83 GL-650i Silver Wing in 1998. I rode it for a year and put 19K on it. I bought a '99 Concours in March '99 and rode it 115K until I totalled it in '2006. Then I bought another C10 Connie and rode it for another 50K before buying the #1 NT700V in March of '10. I rode the very first Iron Butt Association certified ride ever done in the whole Western Hemisphere on 4/30-5/1/2010, a Saddle Sore 1000. After that I rode another SS1K (1000 miles in under 24 hrs) and a BBG (1500 miles in under 24 hrs...I did 1524 miles in 23hrs and 48min).

In 2013, I did my Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador, a 21,000 mile 80 day jaunt. I'm up to the ripe old age of 81 now and I've had 6 total knee replacements, but I'm reasonably sure that I'll be back on my NT this fall.

The NT is a great bike and I'm confident you'll enjoy yours.

I'm on my 2nd 2010 NT. Mine have both been the faster and superior Silver with ABS. I put 139K miles on #1 (SN 079) before trading it in on my current bike (SN 063). It had about 22K miles when I bought it and I've put another 6K on it. I've only ridden it another 79 miles since '22. My wife had Alzheimer's and died a year ago, and except for that 79 miles in November of '23, I haven't been on it since then. I started riding about a year before I met Joanne in '98. I learned to ride on an '86 Honda Shadow 600, then bought an '83 GL-650i Silver Wing in 1998. I rode it for a year and put 19K on it. I bought a '99 Concours in March '99 and rode it 115K until I totalled it in '2006. Then I bought another C10 Connie and rode it for another 50K before buying the #1 NT700V in March of '10. I rode the very first Iron Butt Association certified ride ever done in the whole Western Hemisphere on 4/30-5/1/2010, a Saddle Sore 1000. After that I rode another SS1K (1000 miles in under 24 hrs) and a BBG (1500 miles in under 24 hrs...I did 1524 miles in 23hrs and 48min).

In 2013, I did my Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador, a 21,000 mile 80 day jaunt. I'm up to the ripe old age of 81 now and I've had 6 total knee replacements, but I'm reasonably sure that I'll be back on my NT this fall.

The NT is a great bike and I'm confident you'll enjoy yours.

I am recovering from abdominal surgery and going through chemo for stage 2 colon cancer. So far, I am well enough to ride. The 50 mile ride home with the new-to-me bike on Tuesday should be fun!

I bought my first shaft drive bike (a Yamaha XS750 triple) a long time ago and decided I would not own a chain or belt drive street again.
Yeah...me to! Had a bike you never heard of. 1981 Yamaha XV920 RH with an enclosed chain in a lithiom grease bath. Basically maintenance free. Then some Yamaha Viragos with shafts and lots of shaft bikes after that....sweet after all those chains from 1960s to 1980, right?
It was hard but I bought a VeeStrom and VFR. Chuck turned me onto a system by Dupont where you use their cheep cleaner for o ring chains, then you apply a chain wax. OMG. I saw a guy throw a handful of sand on his chain and it just fell off. Now I clean and adjust my chains maybe twice a year and spray them every day on tour. After 13k on the VFR, the chain and sprokets look new. I love shaft drives, dont get me wrong, but they are fast disappearing. I will live.

I am recovering from abdominal surgery and going through chemo for stage 2 colon cancer. So far, I am well enough to ride. The 50 mile ride home with the new-to-me bike on Tuesday should be fun!
I am so sorry. I am 75 and something new breaks on me every year. I have lost 12 lbs for no reason and my feet are half numb and I need eye surgery. Hope every thing works out for you. This forum is very supportive. 🙏
They would never make fun of me, for instance.....
1725826923752.png
Well, maybe my Red Green Carpentry skills.
1725827104323.png

Chains are much better than they used to be but they are still chains. My 650 Versys has one.

I had a friend that had one of those 920 Virago's with enclosed chain. Later on I bought a 750 Virago with a shaft.

Arknt

Chains are much better than they used to be but they are still chains. My 650 Versys has one.

I had a friend that had one of those 920 Virago's with enclosed chain. Later on I bought a 750 Virago with a shaft.

Arknt
The Viragos (I had two) were pretty nice bikes, actually. And easy to work on. I had a Vetter wind jammer on my RH and it was a great touring bike. Of all the dozens of bikes I have owned, that is the one I wish I still had, sitting in the living room.
Very popular in Europe.
1725827868904.png

I am so sorry. I am 75 and something new breaks on me every year. I have lost 12 lbs for no reason and my feet are half numb and I need eye surgery. Hope every thing works out for you. This forum is very supportive. 🙏
They would never make fun of me, for instance.....
View attachment 22143
Well, maybe my Red Green Carpentry skills.
View attachment 22144
I've lost 25 pounds since December - don't know how much the tumor weighed. It was 5 inches in diameter and 8 inches long. I've gained back about 5 pounds - my pants hang on me. My wife laughs at me. I'm comfortable - the nt700v looks like a comfortable bike.

Last edited:

Arknt
No doubt, chains have improved. They still require more maintenance and complicate rear tire replacements - alignment is still an issue. I've had two Yamaha triples (a 750 and an 850), a Virago, a BMW R80RT, the Honda Sabre, now the nt700v. Had a Suzuki T-500 Titan (2 stroke screamer) while in college. And a few other bikes with chains.

No doubt, chains have improved. They still require more maintenance and complicate rear tire replacements - alignment is still an issue. I've had two Yamaha triples (a 750 and an 850), a Virago, a BMW R80RT, the Honda Sabre, now the nt700v. Had a Suzuki T-500 Titan (2 stroke screamer) while in college. And a few other bikes with chains.
I dont understand. Chains and sprokets dont come off with the rear wheel since the stone age???? But yes, with my Yamaha 80, 305, 400s, 650s, Honda 350, Yada yada yada they did. There was also a quickly removable link. (There are quick and easy alignment tools but the VFR there is no way to change the alignment. Loosen pinch bolt, take special spanner wrench and move wheel fore and aft, tighten pinch bolt. )
Certain shaft drives have more maintenance than others. With the FJR, you have to pull the pumpkin or at least an inspection cover and inspect and clean and lube the front U joint splines. They come almost dry from the factory. I hardly ever ride in the rain (jinx) and So I mostly pull the inspection cover and look at the front splines. Maybe force some grease into them.
Again, I am pro shaft but just sayin that chains are no big deal. Just keep them clean and lubed.
Yamaha 650 seca. Shim over bucket so valve check was child's play. Tubless tires and shaft drive. I put on the small vetter fairing. Euro models had an oil cooler.
1725838338314.png

Back
Top Bottom