Improved Pannier Latches

Update to Panniers, as suggested by Mike, Used the straps to hold it close. Looks and feels solid, but I am going to add 1 more as a fail safe ...

I was also able to drill out and remove the stuck rivets without more damage (one more skill added). In the second pic you see the crack form the second rivet hole. For now I am going to ride it for next 2 months and plan to fix the plastic in Dec .

20240929_131618 NT Pannier.jpg

20240929_131606 NT Pannier.jpg

Clever idea using one strap for both panniers, I used one per side. Until you can repair the plastic, you may want to consider drilling a small hole at the end of the crack to stop the crack from growing. From the looks of the crack, I think a layer of fiberglass woven roving on the interior of the pannier housing would prevent future cracks. I would still use a metal backing plate to relieve the clamping stress on the interior of the housing.

Mike

Clever idea using one strap for both panniers, I used one per side. Until you can repair the plastic, you may want to consider drilling a small hole at the end of the crack to stop the crack from growing. From the looks of the crack, I think a layer of fiberglass woven roving on the interior of the pannier housing would prevent future cracks. I would still use a metal backing plate to relieve the clamping stress on the interior of the housing.

Mike
HI Mike,

I am still using one strap for one side. The right side pannier is ok, its the left that has always caused the problems.

Good idea on the hole, I will do that right away.

I will research the fiberglass, but I was just thinking of JB Welding the metal plate to the inside.

Sunny

I suspect that the JB Weld would do just as good a job on attaching the backing plate but I was thinking of the fiberglass reinforcement as a larger base reinforcement in addition to the metal plate. The pannier base is pretty thin and UV rays will continue to deteriorate the plastic substrate.

Mike

Has anyone considered using two of the Owach or Southco latches per case? Owach makes a non-lockable version and Southco also (although only in the larger latch size). I’m thinking of using one of each per case. Wonder if any increase in rigidity would be beneficial. Are y’all satisfied with the single latch installation, or might you consider 2 per side were you to get a do-over? :think1:
My bike came with two locking Owach latches on the left saddlebag. I bought two non locking Owach latches. Plan is to replace one locking latch on the left bag with a non-locking one and end up with a locking latch and a non-locking latch on each saddlebag.

Back
Top Bottom