What did you do with YOUR hour?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 25, 2011
Messages
3,817
Location
Spokane
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
So, what did you Nt folks do with the hour I spent on my XT chain today?
wl3eyr.jpg

531moz.jpg

(I didnt want you folks to forget what it is like to clean and lube a chain)
 
There he goes... whining about the chain again.....

;^)

Mike
 
There he goes... whining about the chain again.....

I agree Mike, no need to whine about cleaning a chain. I don't mind cleaning and spraying my chain. I'd much rather do that than wash my motorcylce. Chain maintenance has a higher purpose than making room for fresh bug splats on my motorcycle. I do wash my bike, but not often. I think much of the chain disdain comes from the old chains. The new X and O ring chains are much better, easier to clean, and last much longer too. And as far as I know it is still the most efficient way to deliver power to a motorcycle wheel.

When I'm traveling I spray my chain at the end of each day when the chain is still warm. The lube is well set up by AM and I usually don't lube it again till evening. It gets a thorough cleaning when I get home and then whenever it gets real dirty again (about every 4 tanks of gas depending on conditions). I've settled on using a wax lube now. I've found that petroleum based lubes are messier, but last better in wet conditions. Teflon lubes don't accumulate crud as fast as petroleum lubes, but disolve quickly in wet conditons. The wax is the best of both worlds for me.

I don't know if comments on chain lube are allowble on an NT forum, but I didn't see any rule against it.
 
I guess I pass wanting to do a chain. I too freakin' broken to get down on my worn-out knees and cleaning a chain on a trip. Around home, perhaps I would do it, but not on a trip. I guess I am lazy, at least I believe I am about somethings. I purchase my 84 RT a long time ago, and the NT because even thought the RT is a great bike I wanted a water cooled bike for hot summer rides. I not had a chain since my BigHorn, and that was so long ago, I don't think you can even find a Kawasaki Big Horn, one of the first dual sports.
 
There he goes... whining about the chain again.....

;^)

Mike

Actually, I was surprised that this is the first time it has needed it in 2700 miles and using the revzilla meathod, it was quick to do. It still hasnt been adjusted since 1200 miles.
 
I agree Mike, no need to whine about cleaning a chain. I don't mind cleaning and spraying my chain. I'd much rather do that than wash my motorcylce. Chain maintenance has a higher purpose than making room for fresh bug splats on my motorcycle. I do wash my bike, but not often. I think much of the chain disdain comes from the old chains. The new X and O ring chains are much better, easier to clean, and last much longer too. And as far as I know it is still the most efficient way to deliver power to a motorcycle wheel.

When I'm traveling I spray my chain at the end of each day when the chain is still warm. The lube is well set up by AM and I usually don't lube it again till evening. It gets a thorough cleaning when I get home and then whenever it gets real dirty again (about every 4 tanks of gas depending on conditions). I've settled on using a wax lube now. I've found that petroleum based lubes are messier, but last better in wet conditions. Teflon lubes don't accumulate crud as fast as petroleum lubes, but disolve quickly in wet conditons. The wax is the best of both worlds for me.

I don't know if comments on chain lube are allowble on an NT forum, but I didn't see any rule against it.

I am using Lithium now but I am sure wax is fine. While touring, putting on a fresh coat at the end of the day is the ticket. I think 2700 miles between one hour cleanings is fine. I think I will clean mine twice a year. I would enjoy seeing an SAE study on how much HP is lost on a shaft vs a well lubed and adjusted chain. The lost HP would have to be used up in some manner, like heat for instance.
 
I guess I pass wanting to do a chain. I too freakin' broken to get down on my worn-out knees and cleaning a chain on a trip. Around home, perhaps I would do it, but not on a trip. I guess I am lazy, at least I believe I am about somethings. I purchase my 84 RT a long time ago, and the NT because even thought the RT is a great bike I wanted a water cooled bike for hot summer rides. I not had a chain since my BigHorn, and that was so long ago, I don't think you can even find a Kawasaki Big Horn, one of the first dual sports.

I am still pretty limber but I wouldnt clean a chain on a trip...just keep it well lubed and wiped down. At 30k, I am sure it will need to be replaced but I dont know how bad a job that is if one is replacing a tire also at the same time....
 
Don't over do it Chris, it is only a chain. No need to wipe the link rivets away,:rofl1:

Yeah yeah, I know it is easy to get obsessive about this but dirty chains covered with grit get to me. I also dont know how much fun it is to change this chain. In the last century, changing the chain and even the sprokets was no big deal.
 
I would enjoy seeing an SAE study on how much HP is lost on a shaft vs a well lubed and adjusted chain. The lost HP would have to be used up in some manner, like heat for instance.
Chains are ~98% efficient, and helical bevel gears are going to be ~94-97% efficient, times two.

For racing, chains are the obvious solution until something else comes up that's as efficient and light and relatively durable. For out street bikes, I'm happy that I get 50mpg+, shaft drive notwithstanding. When people buy motorcycles for recreational riding, efficiency is usually not a primary consideration.
 
That was one hour of my 12 hour shift today. lol. Holy crow that chain! Its blinding! Mine only look that good if I've cleaned them after a tire change. Or when they are brand new.
 
That was one hour of my 12 hour shift today. lol. Holy crow that chain! Its blinding! Mine only look that good if I've cleaned them after a tire change. Or when they are brand new.

That's because you cant see through the smoke! LOL! I watched lots of youtubes onh chain cleaning and I think Revzilla has the right idea on how to clean chains. Spray lots of kerosene and keep on brushing. Then wipe off and then I put on Motorex chain lube from Switzerland. Take for a short ride. Clean rim and you are good to go. You wouldnt believe the gravel and sand that came off the chain. No one likes to clean a chain but ask how many NTers would allow sand in their final drive housings.....
 
My Velcro shoes are black. So there....

I used to have a pair of nursing home shoes like Phil but then I decided I could really touch my toes after my blown back healed so I gave them away to good will. I was married in Plaid pants....I will see if I can dig up those pics....
Hey, I am not just a pretty face.....
azcffr.jpg
 
I still have two bikes that are chain driven. I lubed the chain on Megas yesterday afternoon, did not polish it.

I am getting her ready for some mountain trail and desert riding over the up the coming Labor Day weekend. I am looking forward to seeing how she does on the trails and getting my trail wings back again.
 
Last edited:
I still have two bikes that are chain driven. I lubed the chain on Megas yesterday afternoon, did not polish it.

I am getting her ready for some mountain trail and desert riding over the up the coming Labor Day weekend. I am looking forward to seeing how she does on the trails and getting my trail wings back again.

You didnt use a tooth brush and Q tips on your chain? Oh no.......:rofl1:
 
Back
Top Bottom