Love Hate Love, an Intro

Again....too kind...what was I thinking just lurking all this time? Excellent offer!! I will definitely be reaching out when my lid arrives.

NaTalie and NaNCy look like they are happy couple. :ROFLMAO: Nice wind deflectors. too.
 
I used the bedliner paint on my lids and like how it turned out.
Clint
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20180928_131522334.jpg
    IMG_20180928_131522334.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20180930_090634472.jpg
    IMG_20180930_090634472.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 36
My bike is red--and it sports silver lids. I had black lids for a while until some joker knocked my bike down in a parking lot. The lids are easy to get and external latches do the trick
 
FYI, the wind deflectors are ~$130, kind of expensive for molded rubber, and probably not easy to find cheaper than that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-WIND-DEFLECTOR-SET-2010-2011-NT700V-08P70-MEW-100/292539275133

Yes, they are a little pricey. However, I swear by them as they remove over 80% of the turbinate air flow that gets blown onto you when you do not have them. They also make a difference during both the Winter and Summer, when they are most needed.

giphy.gif
 
I have the deflectors, too, but have no idea how well they work in the winter. I don't have studded snow tires. :LOL:

Looking forward to sub-zero temps over the next week.....:oops: (<- eyelids frozen open)
 
There have been a couple weeks here in SoCal recently that I wish I didn't have to put thick gloves on for the morning commute. I thought those deflectors might be nice to keep wind off my hands, but I don't need them $130 much. I didn't realize they actually do more than that. I wonder if they could be 3D printed?
 
I bought them used near me. new in box for about $85. I had wanted them, but not for full price, can't really tell if they work that good or not
 
Alright, I am getting my "forum legs" under me and hosted some pictures. Here is what was left of my left side lid after it disintegrated on hwy 60. You can see the plastic bits still attached to the bike:
20180915_133814_zpsxbdktnmk.jpg


You can also see my matte black rattle can job on the tupperware. Those will be re-done very soon as my knees have already worn through on those big side covers. I'll try semi-gloss this next time, and add more coats. I'm thinking the rear fender will get the bed liner treatment when I do my miss-matched lids as well.

Any ideas on how to get never been scrubbed wheels clean? And my slightly rusty shifter bugs me, too.
 
nt700v.jpg


I likes the new drag-and-drop pictures......

Here's my Southco latches, and SW-Motech rack.

Pardon the american flag back there....one of my little driveway-lining ones for holidays.....it's a torn one that's slated to go to the VFW for burning......

I use Hondabrite on my wheels, works ok. Castrol SuperClean in the purple jugs works ok too. I've heard that WD-40 works as a degreaser, too. Is that allowed in CA, though? :eek:
 
Welcome and enjoy your ride. For some of us once you pass a certain age you no longer worry that your bikes butt looks big as long as you can haul your stuff along.
 
View attachment 13704

I likes the new drag-and-drop pictures......

Here's my Southco latches, and SW-Motech rack.

Pardon the american flag back there....one of my little driveway-lining ones for holidays.....it's a torn one that's slated to go to the VFW for burning......

I use Hondabrite on my wheels, works ok. Castrol SuperClean in the purple jugs works ok too. I've heard that WD-40 works as a degreaser, too. Is that allowed in CA, though? :eek:
WD-40 doesn't dent it!! But I haven't even tried soap and hot water yet, either.

So just one latch will do?

Totally agree on the drag and drop pics...I was digging in my old photobucket this AM hosting pics before I realized.
 
One'll do it, but 2 is fine if you want more confidence. You could do one lockable and one not, or both lockable.

I got mine installed late last season. I actually had it pop open on me on the road -- left side where my registration was, thankfully it didn't blow out! Anyway, somehow on one side I didn't get the catch spacing perfect, and if you push on the lid, you can get the latch to uncatch without unlatching. So I have a slight repositioning of the catch to do. I just say that to say that one will do if mounted properly. :rolleyes:
 
I have 2 pair, 1 locking, 1 non-locking in each pair. Too many keys for me, I won't be locking them unless I absolutely have to. I keep my insurance and registration in my locking dash cubbie. We'll see what Brillot2000 thinks when I show up at his house. :cool:
 
Actually, I have to take that back. Due to the fact that the surface is a little curved and not flat, having it key-locked actually keeps the latch from releasing on its own. At least that's my experience, see what Brillot has to say with his similar latches.

You're movin' fast if you've got the latches already.....
 
Actually, I have to take that back. Due to the fact that the surface is a little curved and not flat, having it key-locked actually keeps the latch from releasing on its own. At least that's my experience, see what Brillot has to say with his similar latches.

You're movin' fast if you've got the latches already.....
Been sitting on the latches since near the beginning. I spent a little time here at the beginning of my ownership back in June of '18.
 
Shucks, Brillot, if I were a little closer, I'd swing by and let you coach me through the installation of my latches...then I'd be ahead of the latch failure curve.

Many miles and many years ago, I had my left pannier come open when I was doing 80 or so on I-76 on my way to Denver from Fort Morgan. I didn't know it was open until I had driven across on Denver on I-76 and I-25. I was clear to the south side of town when I got off and rode about six blocks on surface streets to an appointment. There was a hard bump as I pulled into the parking lot and when I stopped the lid was open. I figured that was when it had come open. I was relieved that two bills in envelopes, my check book, and a paperback I was reading were still in the pannier.

On my way into Denver, a church member had passed me in his car about six miles out of Ft Morgan and I saw him the next day. He said, "Why was that thing on the side of your bike open when I passed you?" I said, "It was open then? Why didn't you let me know?" He said, "I figured you wanted it open." I had driven nearly 80 miles with the pannier open!

On my Epic Ride, I was 50-60 miles west of Des Moines on I-80 when a guy in a pickup pulled alongside and pointed down to the back of the bike. My left pannier was open. It had my clothes (in a pannier liner bag), plus five or six loose items (gloves I know and maybe sandals) in it. I pulled over and closed the lid only to have it pop open again. I got off at a McDonalds out in the middle of western Iowa and spent about 30 minutes figuring out that the latch mechanism was closed so it couldn't engage the hook on the lid. I finally managed to get that fixed and the latch has worked since. I'm still surprised that the aerodynamics of an open pannier don't seem to suck things out, even at high speeds.

About the wind deflectors: I think Honda must have spent some money and time in a wind tunnel when they were developing the deflectors. They do an incredible job of deflecting air and a lot of moisture away from your hands. They work something like slats on jet wings. Over the 130K miles I've had them, their per/mile cost has dropped to just a bit over 1/10 cent/mile. They've been well worth that. :)
 
Last edited:
I have 2 pair, 1 locking, 1 non-locking in each pair. Too many keys for me, I won't be locking them unless I absolutely have to. I keep my insurance and registration in my locking dash cubbie. We'll see what Brillot2000 thinks when I show up at his house. :cool:

One latch per lid per side will be plenty. I would recommend using the locking ones as we do live in California and there are thieves everywhere you go.
 
Actually, I have to take that back. Due to the fact that the surface is a little curved and not flat, having it key-locked actually keeps the latch from releasing on its own. At least that's my experience, see what Brillot has to say with his similar latches.

You're movin' fast if you've got the latches already.....

With the location that I selected only required some slight tweaking the geometry of the latches to get the locking mechanism to work on my latches. I am not using the Southco latches, its an equivalent.

NT700_Latch01.jpg NT700_Latch03.jpg NT700_Latch04.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom