Ford decides to ditch their all-electric plan

Finally common, and business, sense returns. I like my Mach-E however I do prefer a rechargeable hybrid over a straight EV. But the PRC has mandated no more ICE after 2035 so what happens in ten years?

Finally common, and business, sense returns. I like my Mach-E however I do prefer a rechargeable hybrid over a straight EV. But the PRC has mandated no more ICE after 2035 so what happens in ten years?
Well, not much if I have crossed the rainbow bridgešŸ˜

Saw a Honda Pacific Coast a week ago with collector plates. Maybe someone will bootleg gas?. I didn't read the link but a hybred makes lots of sense. Even a plug in hybrid. When the cheep environmetally friendly high energy density battery shows up, look out. Next gen solar pannals on your roof can charge one in your basement and power your house and charge your car.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for the battery you envision if I were you. You also can't ignore the laws of physics. The maximum solar constant above the atmosphere is ~1.36kW/mĀ². On the earth's surface it drops to to ~1.05kW/mĀ². Now, accounting for latitude, time of year and time of day the average the drops to ~251W/mĀ². Now, one must account for cloud cover which is variable, and the current solar panels are about 20% efficient, well, you get the idea........

Mike

Last edited:
I bought a Ford Maverick hybrid a little over a year ago. Love the 40+ mpg in a little pickup. I also like the fact that I have a 2.5 liter ICE up front. I tell people that I have an electric vehicle with a portable generator built in.

I bought a Ford Maverick hybrid a little over a year ago. Love the 40+ mpg in a little pickup. I also like the fact that I have a 2.5 liter ICE up front. I tell people that I have an electric vehicle with a portable generator built in.
Hybrids are beginning to make more and more sense for most folks. It eases the economy into electrification without exposing the consumer to reliance on promised recharging infrastructure that may or may not be there when needed.

Mike

If the EPA follows through and forces the car makers to install enough battery for a 75 to 100 mile electric only range in PHEV's that will be a winner for most folks. Right now there are some PHEV's on the market with less than 10 miles of electric range. :rolleyes: Before I retired if I had a 100 miles of EV range I'd never needs to start the ICE on my old commute.

But remember this all you EV whiners.;) Hybrids use the same battery technology as EV's so all your "concerns" will still apply to that hybrid :eek:... except for range anxiety.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought the now discontinued Chevy Volt plug-in was the sweet spot. A reasonable amt of 'battery only' range for a commute, and the ICE comes on when needed to provide juice. An electric car with unlimited range. Unless I am mistaken the ICE was simply a pony motor that provided electricity once the battery was depleted

I don't remember a lot, but a church member when I was serving as an interim pastor in Rocky Ford in '13 and '14 had a Volt. She made at least two trips to Houston a year and she told me she usually bought 3-4 tanks of gas a year.

Dubuque Iowa just got a grant to install two EV charging stations. The grant is for $1.9 MILLION DOLLARS!!!
At $3.30 per gallon, that would buy 575757.57 gallons of gas. Heckuva deal. For somebody . . . .

Follow the money.

This is interesting. I am still a fan of hybreds/plug in hybreds over pure EV, but this type of work this floats all boats.
Store solar energy during the day, charge your car up at night.
a bat.jpg

That was the most fraudulently named Act of Congress ever foisted on the American public. It had absolutely zero to do with inflation!

Mike
Yes, and everything to do with politics. I wonder if anyone our age thinks about what inflation does to an old person retirement nest egg?

Yes, and everything to do with politics. I wonder if anyone our age thinks about what inflation does to an old person retirement nest egg?
I think it becomes obvious to all of us old farts when we see prices skyrocket like they have. We are old enough to have seen this before and we know the cause (read printing money). The young unless they have been paying attention havent a clue as to what causes inflation and just assume it is a natural economic cycle.

Mike

I think it becomes obvious to all of us old farts when we see prices skyrocket like they have. We are old enough to have seen this before and we know the cause (read printing money). The young unless they have been paying attention havent a clue as to what causes inflation and just assume it is a natural economic cycle.

Mike
ITA. But they have been kept ignorant. Indeed, their own actions mimic the US Govt, only THEY cant print money. Look at all those people flying here and there for each holiday. They have 9,000 in credit card debt, student loan debt, no retirement savings and are one paycheck away from bankrupcy. And a house and car/truck they really cant afford. Half of all college kids move back home after graduation. I have neighbors all around where their kids are living in old RVs and tents on their parent's 10 acres. Most have zero fiscal hygene. Kids in college on college loans taking winter break in Aspen???? Spring in florida????
Every classroom should have a monitor with a debt clock and no sudent graduates high school without being able to explain every square

ITA. But they have been kept ignorant. Indeed, their own actions mimic the US Govt, only THEY cant print money. Look at all those people flying here and there for each holiday. They have 9,000 in credit card debt, student loan debt, no retirement savings and are one paycheck away from bankrupcy. And a house and car/truck they really cant afford. Half of all college kids move back home after graduation. I have neighbors all around where their kids are living in old RVs and tents on their parent's 10 acres. Most have zero fiscal hygene. Kids in college on college loans taking winter break in Aspen???? Spring in florida????
Every classroom should have a monitor with a debt clock and no sudent graduates high school without being able to explain every square
Sadly Chris, we as a nation are just as guilty as the kids we disparage. If we had any sense at all, we would scream bloody murder until our politicians make a concerted effort to reduce our national debt. Instead, it is just to easy to listen to their siren song and allow them to spend, spend, spend. One day, perhaps not in my lifetime, the chickens will come home to roost!

Mike

$$ responsibility is not one of our strong points lately. I expect something big to happen but I've been thinking that for years, so will wait and see I guess.

Many things in the world seem out of control and quite odd these days. Hard for me to imagine trying to keep a business on track. Seems like you are doomed for failure whatever direction you send it.

Arknt

Back
Top Bottom