[How To] Emergency Saddlebag Repair Using Rok Straps

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Hi friends,
I recently bought a 2010 NT700V and it's just what I was looking for. As noted countless times on this helpful forum, the latches on the saddlebags are a weak link. I had one snap off on the 130-mile ride home from purchase, and below was my temporary fix using what I had on hand. The offending latch has since been epoxied using JB Weld (for plastic). Though I believe the aftermarket latches as faithfully detailed here are in my near future: https://www.nt-owners.org/forums/threads/improved-pannier-latches.12000/

Tools: Adjustable Rok straps, length of wire, carabiner.

Instructions:
-Tie the buckle end of the Rok strap to the bike's passenger handle.
-Insert the wire through the other end of the Rok strap.
-Fish the Rok strap's hoop through the bottom of the case at the hinge. This is a tight fit, but it will fish through with effort.
-Attach a carabiner (or anything else on hand) to keep the strap from pulling out of the case.
-Run the strap over the cover to the buckle, and tighten the Rok strap.

Best,
Craig

01Supplies.JPG02WirethroughStrap.JPG03Saddlebag Open.JPG04WirethroughHinges.JPG05StrapthroughHinges.JPG06CliponStraptostayInside.JPG07BottomStrapthorughHingestoTop.JPG08Secured.JPG

Daler - Out of curiosity, are the scrapes on the upper half from a lay-down? I ask because I'm about to put on the larger Deauville pannier lids and trying to figure out the best location on the lids for some protectors to minimize damage - should a casual drop or lay-down occur.

Aside, great solution - thinking of planning for this eventual failure and keeping straps with me on rides.

Out of curiosity, are the scrapes on the upper half from a lay-down? I ask because I'm about to put on the larger Deauville pannier lids and trying to figure out the best location on the lids for some protectors to minimize damage - should a casual drop or lay-down occur.

With the bigger lids, most of the damage happens along or below the crease line on the panniers. I put rubber bumpers I got from Amazon along that line and (so far) haven't dropped the bike. These are what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SGDS829/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0001 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom