Adventure in motorcycle diagnostic apps

junglejim

Site Supporter
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
1,428
Location
Northern WI
Bike
2026 BMW R1300 RT
OK, so I got this beautiful new BMW R1300 RT. It is by far the most capable, comfortable, and complex motorcycle I've ever had. The first oil change and service was done by the dealer for free at 650 miles. I did the second oil change at 6,650 miles but was unable to reset the service reminder. I had several options:
1. Buy the HEX GS 911 device which does everything BMW for $440
2. Use an app called MotoScan (Android only) $140 for the app, $40 for the pro upgrade, about $100 for an Android tablet, and an OBD 2 reader. Total $330
3. Get a new app called Biketune (IOS) for free and get the $15 upgrade and a OBD LinkMX+ reader. Total $165
4. Ignore the "Service Required" light
5. Take it to the dealer to reset the service reminder. That's an all day ride + their fee???
Option 1 has significant resale value; option 2 has little to none.
I'm a little surprised that Triumph thought of this idea to prevent users from resetting service reminders before BMW did.

So I went with the Biketune app. I struggled for a day and half with calls to Biketune Support and bug fixes etc. But now I have a functional app and have reset my service reminder. Ha Ha, the dealer told me I couldn't do that. The Biketune also works on Honda and other motorcycles too, so for a motorcycle diagnostic app it's an option for IOS users. But be careful which OBD reader you get because they don't all work with Biketune.

In the last 10 weeks I got over 8K miles on this super smart RT and love this bike. The Beemer has just about every option. It shifts for me or lets me shift, adapts the suspension to the road or whatever I select, heated grips and seat (Including the pillion seat and backrest), lighted panniers, electric windscreen adjuster, wing deflectors for air management, ABS, hillstart, traction control, adaptive cruise control, and a bunch of electronic stuff I haven't figured out yet. It gets better fuel mileage (56mpg overall) than my Tiger 800 did, is much quicker, handles better, and is WAY more comfortable. I can't tell you about how much fun I've had with this bike without incriminating myself. It records my speed, mileage, route, lean angles, acceleration/deceleration, fuel mileage, etc. if I allow it. I didn't think I'd ever do a 500 mile day again, but I rode this bike for 800 miles in a day and wasn't even very tired. But at my advanced age I try real hard to ride within whatever is left of my motorcycling capabilities in an effort to extend my riding career. My tire life looks like it is going to be the same as my NT running on Michelins. I think it will fill my mug with cold beer at the end of the day, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Out with the old
IMG_1360.jpeg


In with the new
IMG_0259.jpeg
 
OK, so I got this beautiful new BMW R1300 RT. It is by far the most capable, comfortable, and complex motorcycle I've ever had. The first oil change and service was done by the dealer for free at 650 miles. I did the second oil change at 6,650 miles but was unable to reset the service reminder. I had several options:
1. Buy the HEX GS 911 device which does everything BMW for $440
2. Use an app called MotoScan (Android only) $140 for the app, $40 for the pro upgrade, about $100 for an Android tablet, and an OBD 2 reader. Total $330
3. Get a new app called Biketune (IOS) for free and get the $15 upgrade and a OBD LinkMX+ reader. Total $165
4. Ignore the "Service Required" light
5. Take it to the dealer to reset the service reminder. That's an all day ride + their fee???
Option 1 has significant resale value; option 2 has little to none.
I'm a little surprised that Triumph thought of this idea to prevent users from resetting service reminders before BMW did.

So I went with the Biketune app. I struggled for a day and half with calls to Biketune Support and bug fixes etc. But now I have a functional app and have reset my service reminder. Ha Ha, the dealer told me I couldn't do that. The Biketune also works on Honda and other motorcycles too, so for a motorcycle diagnostic app it's an option for IOS users. But be careful which OBD reader you get because they don't all work with Biketune.

In the last 10 weeks I got over 8K miles on this super smart RT and love this bike. The Beemer has just about every option. It shifts for me or lets me shift, adapts the suspension to the road or whatever I select, heated grips and seat (Including the pillion seat and backrest), lighted panniers, electric windscreen adjuster, wing deflectors for air management, ABS, hillstart, traction control, adaptive cruise control, and a bunch of electronic stuff I haven't figured out yet. It gets better fuel mileage (56mpg overall) than my Tiger 800 did, is much quicker, handles better, and is WAY more comfortable. I can't tell you about how much fun I've had with this bike without incriminating myself. It records my speed, mileage, route, lean angles, acceleration/deceleration, fuel mileage, etc. if I allow it. I didn't think I'd ever do a 500 mile day again, but I rode this bike for 800 miles in a day and wasn't even very tired. But at my advanced age I try real hard to ride within whatever is left of my motorcycling capabilities in an effort to extend my riding career. My tire life looks like it is going to be the same as my NT running on Michelins. I think it will fill my mug with cold beer at the end of the day, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Out with the old
View attachment 24321

In with the new
View attachment 24322
I love this story! I gave up on fitting my bike helmets with my helmet to phone communitcator so my Urologist couldnt call me in the middle of Wyoming. My riding partner, who will remain anonymous, loves gagets. He doesnt like gas pumps where he has to get off his bike to get his receipt as he is wired to his bike about like a NASA Astronaught is wired to a space capsule. I have heard him swear when the pump printer doesnt work.
He has a Triump that requires a special app and blue tooth link to reset the service reminder. And you can only IIRC rent the maintenance manual.
John Deere got hammered for not allowing farmers to fix their own tractors.
I am happy you like your Bavarian Dumper truck. Really. I dont need lighted panniers...my electric windscreen on my 2014 FJR is nice but not a necessity. Heated grips and cruise control are very very nice. Hill start if you live in Frisco would be nice. I have never used the hill holder option on any of our subarus. Adaptive cruise is wonderful on my cars. Things on the Triumps i am looking at like clutchless shifting mean nothing. Electronic suspension? I set the suspension and forget about it. The truimp has an adjustable windscreen on the fly that is easy to use.
My Subaru has heated seats which I forget to use. A heated seat on a bike? Heat through the seat pad and sheep skin? Not for me.
The 17,000 people on the NT1100 SB page complain about the seat. As well they should, but in a manual tranny bike for less money and lighter weight, its a great bike. I am having trouble pulling the trigger on a Desert editon 900 triump, partly for lack of dealerships and having to buy this and that to set the service light. And the $1800 valve checks at about 12,000 miles.
In WA, the discounted price of a 2026 Desert with Panniers is $20,000 out the door. That is with discount, no set up, no delivery. They eat that.
Your bike probably goes down the road just fine like my FJR. But the last time I went 550 miles in one day was with anonymous riding partner on my 800 interceptor. I normally go 300-350 and feel just fine. I stop alot due to medical issues. But stopping alot on two lane beautiful roads is not a bad thing for me. Its about the ride.,..not the destination.
As an aside, I dont get all the fuss about gas milage...add up all the costs of riding and see what a 45 mpg bike looses you vs a 55 mpg bike.
Rant: A vehicle where the owner can not easily reset the maintenance light like on my 2004 CRV was made to make added profit, not make the owner happy. Same with valves that can not be easily set. And cost $1800 every 12,000 miles. How many shim over bucket bikes have you seen spit out shims?
I wonder if my 2014 FJR, 2015 VFR and 2017 XT have Can buses? They all were designed long ago....
Frankly, I am sick of technology that costs so much it offsets any financial advantage of riding a bike.
Jim, enjoy your bike and all the rest of your life which like mine, is not that long. I am not so In love with the desert edition that I need to spend 20k.....plus maintendance needed light snuff kit.
 
Chris, regarding your comments on motorcycle simplicity I had the same opinion as you a couple months ago. Heated grips and cruise control were mandatory, but after that all other features were luxuries. THEN I did a test ride on this R1300 RT and within 3 minutes on that bike I knew I was going to buy one. The difference was that great. As I rode it longer (10 minutes) I was getting used to it and it was even more comfortable. I'm not good enough with words to explain it so you'll just have to try riding an automatic transmission yourself. Yes, my new bike has more features than I need or want. I bought the one with the goodies on it mostly for resale value. But I do like most of them. I don't need the lighted panniers either, in fact I had to go out one night and open one just to see if there was really a light in there. I had the same opinion about electronically adjustable suspension, but I can say it works great and makes a very noticeable difference. The ShifCam kicks in at about 5K RPMs. I'm rarely in that rev range. That's about 98 mph in top gear on this Bavarian Tractor. I can really feel it kick in if I downshift to pass on a 2-lane highway. I use the electric windscreen adjuster a lot. It is all the way down on hot days, in towns, and on tight twisty roads and almost all the way up on highways when I want maximum comfort. There is a system that raises the bike up when the center stand is deployed to assist raising the bike up. I really like that.

I too gave up fitting my helmet with a communication system. I tried to consider it because the motorcycle was refusing certain things because no comm system was paired. I finally tricked it by pairing it to a cheap BT receiver (that is connected to nothing) that the motorcycle thinks is a comm system. I don't want to make or receive calls when riding anyway. I would like to see an incoming call show up on the screen so I could pull over and call back if needed. Navigation audio queues are the only thing I want to listen to but with my hearing loss I can't understand the audio queues anyway.

I splurged on my OBD 2 reader. I got the one that handles IOS, Android, and Windows and does automotive as well as motorcycles. I think I have more OBD ports on vehicles than I realized. I think there on one on my tractor, snowmobile, side-by-side, both cars, and my pickup truck. I've never used any of them - yet. Again resale value was a consideration.
 
I dropped by my friendly local BMW store yesterday. Sat on a few Bavarian tractors.
And, one used 2026 Triumph Tiger GT 900 Alpine edition. Very nice bike, too.

I was surprised that the 1250 GS Adventure didn’t feel any more top heavy than my puny Honda NX500. It was WIDE. With an 8 gallon tank it has to be.

I have resisted (so far) the temptation to take one for a test ride. I KNOW the end result will be a change of ownership.

My Honda is utterly simple, with none of the complexities of the newest Beemers. It does the job MOST of the time. Except going uphill against a strong headwind crossing Wyoming; trying to keep up with a Triumph 900 and an FJR1300. I could probably pick it up in the event of a “nap”. The big touring bikes? fuhgeddaboutit.

I may stop in today and take a look at a used Honda NC750X DCT which would be a big upgrade for me. A few more ponies, a relaxing automatic transmission, and maybe even better fuel economy than my NX500. Certainly not a grand BMW, but a more practical answer to my needs and desires.
 
I dropped by my friendly local BMW store yesterday. Sat on a few Bavarian tractors.
And, one used 2026 Triumph Tiger GT 900 Alpine edition. Very nice bike, too.

I was surprised that the 1250 GS Adventure didn’t feel any more top heavy than my puny Honda NX500. It was WIDE. With an 8 gallon tank it has to be.

I have resisted (so far) the temptation to take one for a test ride. I KNOW the end result will be a change of ownership.

My Honda is utterly simple, with none of the complexities of the newest Beemers. It does the job MOST of the time. Except going uphill against a strong headwind crossing Wyoming; trying to keep up with a Triumph 900 and an FJR1300. I could probably pick it up in the event of a “nap”. The big touring bikes? fuhgeddaboutit.

I may stop in today and take a look at a used Honda NC750X DCT which would be a big upgrade for me. A few more ponies, a relaxing automatic transmission, and maybe even better fuel economy than my NX500. Certainly not a grand BMW, but a more practical answer to my needs and desires.
Ya, the test ride nailed me squarely between the eyes and penetrated all the way to my wallet. But that wound was offset in the opposite direction by my fun and enjoyment. To each his own.

I hope to avoid the need to ever pick mine up. I'm wondering if between the wide jugs sticking out to the side and the crash bars being a little lower and farther out, and the low COG , if it would get all the way to the ground or stoop half way like a Gold Wing. My gas tank is only 6.1 gallons so less weight up top. My "miles to empty" upon fill-up has read between 390 and 230 depending on riding conditions on the previous tank. That's 65 - 38 mph. The 230 was crossing the Dakotas in a headwind at 80+. The BMW mpg calculator is pretty close to true as opposed to my old NT (way optimistic) or Triumph (optimistic).

If the R1250 GS Adv surprised you, you should try the new R1300 GS. Lower, lighter and a 6 gallon tank. I felt good on that one but it lacks the protection of the RT I want. And the R1300 is more than as you say "a few" more ponys than your NX500 (about 83hp more). That's noticeable to say the least.

And Rich, this is motorcycling, who cares about "Practical" as you say.
 
Chris, regarding your comments on motorcycle simplicity I had the same opinion as you a couple months ago. Heated grips and cruise control were mandatory, but after that all other features were luxuries. THEN I did a test ride on this R1300 RT and within 3 minutes on that bike I knew I was going to buy one. The difference was that great. As I rode it longer (10 minutes) I was getting used to it and it was even more comfortable. I'm not good enough with words to explain it so you'll just have to try riding an automatic transmission yourself. Yes, my new bike has more features than I need or want. I bought the one with the goodies on it mostly for resale value. But I do like most of them. I don't need the lighted panniers either, in fact I had to go out one night and open one just to see if there was really a light in there. I had the same opinion about electronically adjustable suspension, but I can say it works great and makes a very noticeable difference. The ShifCam kicks in at about 5K RPMs. I'm rarely in that rev range. That's about 98 mph in top gear on this Bavarian Tractor. I can really feel it kick in if I downshift to pass on a 2-lane highway. I use the electric windscreen adjuster a lot. It is all the way down on hot days, in towns, and on tight twisty roads and almost all the way up on highways when I want maximum comfort. There is a system that raises the bike up when the center stand is deployed to assist raising the bike up. I really like that.

I too gave up fitting my helmet with a communication system. I tried to consider it because the motorcycle was refusing certain things because no comm system was paired. I finally tricked it by pairing it to a cheap BT receiver (that is connected to nothing) that the motorcycle thinks is a comm system. I don't want to make or receive calls when riding anyway. I would like to see an incoming call show up on the screen so I could pull over and call back if needed. Navigation audio queues are the only thing I want to listen to but with my hearing loss I can't understand the audio queues anyway.

I splurged on my OBD 2 reader. I got the one that handles IOS, Android, and Windows and does automotive as well as motorcycles. I think I have more OBD ports on vehicles than I realized. I think there on one on my tractor, snowmobile, side-by-side, both cars, and my pickup truck. I've never used any of them - yet. Again resale value was a consideration.
I will say the electric wind screen is a nicety...not a necesity but I do like the adjustment feature as it is easy to work, and its easy to put all the way down for parking and slow speeds,
OBDii readers are nice and I have used them to monitor my wife's old subaru coolant temo and trouble shoot my 2004 Honda CRV and fix it.
I think every bike I have ever loved I knew I would love it in 5 minutes of riding it. The Triump 900 is like that as it has no bad habits what so ever....and it has a rear brake that works...but nothing beats the VFR for getting on it the first time and saying OMG! And the Vstrom. I could not stop smiling when I first did slow speed manovers...untill I noticed the rear brake didnt work.
I actually never road the Concours C10, the NT, or the FJR until delivery.
Riding the BMW 800 GT twice taught me I would never want one. I would flinch everytime one of the two buzz rpms came up and of course the clutch is so crappy BMW owners come up with inticate mechanisms to stop the sudden engagemeent...A certain rider person i know has one and swears he doesnt notice it but he reves the heck out of the engine to get underway. The FJR you dont need any throttle to get underway and the Vstrom has a "launch assist" that keeps you from killing the engine...it is so seemless I can not detect it but it works....I actually never get tired of riding the FJR, the VFR and the Vstrom....they are all fun to ride in their own way....I traded of the Nt when I found myself leaving it in the garage as the fun factor just wasnt there...I traded it in on the Left over VFR. All my bikes are left overs. Still undecided about the Triump 900. No problems (yet) what so ever riding the FJR EMPTY though I am careful at slow speeds. But its a handful with 60 pounds of absolutely necessisary items (crap) up high.
Fair disclaimer. I boughtt the FJR solely for its looks and that is why I would buy the desert edition.
 
Reading y'all's comments reinforces my position that my NY700A is my last motorcycle.
The NT is really a very nice motorcycle but shouild have come stock with the big lids. In the land of the 80 mph interstates and possible head winds, its a bit underpowered but if you are not afraid of being hit from behind and are not in a hurry, it will do the job. The vibration is there but it is not the really annoying type. The shaft, the screw valve adjusters, easy to get to sparking plugs, etc make life easy as far as maintenance. Better to be merrily riding down the road on an Nt than sitting by the side of the road on your Triump 900 or BMW 800 cause the battery completely failed.
 
The NT is really a very nice motorcycle but shouild have come stock with the big lids. In the land of the 80 mph interstates and possible head winds, its a bit underpowered but if you are not afraid of being hit from behind and are not in a hurry, it will do the job. The vibration is there but it is not the really annoying type. The shaft, the screw valve adjusters, easy to get to sparking plugs, etc make life easy as far as maintenance. Better to be merrily riding down the road on an Nt than sitting by the side of the road on your Triump 900 or BMW 800 cause the battery completely failed.
I have no interest in riding on super highways or cruising at 80 MPH. The panniers are the worst thing about this bike.
 
Back
Top Bottom