[Review] Mick-O-Pegs Highway Pegs

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I recently installed a set of the new Mick-O-Pegs for the NT. My install took significantly more work then most others would because I already had installed a Hepco-Becker tank guard. The right peg install was straight-forward. The left peg install required considerable sawing, grinding, filing on the mounting block and the arm that attaches to the block in order for it to coexist side by side with the tank guard mount. Eventually though, it did. The arms that come down and out from the mounting blocks can be attached in to different positions, one angled rearward more so then the other. For us short legged folk this slightly rearward position is the one to use. It also was the only position that could exist with the tank guard. Longer legged riders may well prefer the more forward position. The pegs themselves are available in clear anodized or black anodized aluminum, you choose. You can also use other brands of pegs such a the Kurly Ergo Pegs. A connector nut is supplied for these -- of course you need to acquire them yourself.
Ok, they are installed. What do I think?

I think they work well. You can stretch out either or both legs. One of my favorite uses is to contact the peg with the back of my boot, about ankle high, then extend down and out so my foot is hanging free with my leg resting against the peg about ankle high on the back of the boot. When you shift back to your driver pegs just swing your leg out and back to the driver peg. Now the Mick-O-Pegs are up and out of the way. You can ride, not using them, and not even think about them at all. Anyway, I like them. Here are some photos:

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2656&d=1314551838
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2657&d=1314551838
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2658&d=1314551910
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2659&d=1314551910
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2660&d=1314551910
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2661&d=1314551910
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2662&d=1314551910

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
interesting. seems like they could be comfortable. i like how they swing out of the way. i see on their website that they thank a "Katherine" for loaning an NT for them to build their prototypes. Is that the same Katherine from these forums, perhaps? However, at $330, that too pricey for me, considering all the other things I want before something like this. thanks for the pics!

elizilla

Yes, that's me. They borrowed my NT, and brought it back to me with prototype pegs installed. I tried them and they worked pretty well, but with my long legs my knees were pressed against the tipover wings, and it turns out that they buzz annoyingly. I reported this to them, and they borrowed my NT again, and brought it back with new prototypes that completely solved that issue. Very nice!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Installed the Mick-O-Pegs on my wife's NT this week. We went out for a little 180mile day ride for her first testing. She really likes them! Being able to stretch out her legs during the rides completely eliminates any ache in her knees. And the spring loading makes them super easy to use! I've placed a few pictures on my Photobucket site.

I only had one small issue during the install. The left block that attaches to the frame was just a smidge (~1/16) too wide to slide on the frame rail between the two weldings. I little filing on the block and I got it to fit. I don't fault Mick-O-Pegs for this. It is just a variance of welds from bike to bike and the blocks (being aluminum) were very easy to shave down to fit. Excellent product!!! Thanks to those that helped to make these available on the NT!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Your Mick-O-Peg install looks great. What driving lights do you have on your bike?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I thought they were Motolights. I've got the Denalis and like them just fine.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Glad that she likes them, Rob. I've had several folks comment positively on mine. One problem that I have found in the meantime is that they are addictive. I rode my Wee this weekend and kept wanting to stick my foot out there.
She took to them REALLY fast. I look in the mirror and can see her legs stretched out on them any time we are on any straight section of road. :cool:

Last edited:

navyman

I installed my Mick-O-Pegs recently. Took me 18 minutes. I am a older rider and glad I spent the money. Much less fatigued after a long day in the saddle. They need to be in the upright position if you are leaning the bike in curves. Will scrape with very little lean. I use them basically in 5th gear on fairly straight roads. I would purchase them again if I had to do it over.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Anyone else had anyone else have Mick O Pegs break. I had one not return to rest position. I took it apart, I do not see find a broken spring, are a missing part. I let you know what happens as I contacted manufacture, and see if anything is positive as their response.
The pegs had not been used much as bike does not have many miles.

They are great when they work

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Not had that issue. Could it be that the block that holds the spring separated enough to allow the spring to uncoil? You need to recoil or load the spring when you install the retractable arms.

Bike
Turns out there are to keepers that keep the outside square from turning (you can tighten it too much). I found that the pins had warn and no longer were long enough to keep it from turning. I drilled two wholes and added a couple small allen screws. I now works fine. I think that I will not be only one with this issue, as there is a small gap between the two parts, and I think over time it would wear.
They contacted me, suggested things that were not the issue. I told them what I found and they might look into it to see if that part can be improved.

Last edited:
Bike
I might of tried to install new pins if the holes we not elongated by the of the square plates movement (which I did not notice till it was too late). It only took a few minutes to remove, drill and install the bolts, in fact I think I'll do the other side just because it happen to me with only 6K on the pegs. Do not get me wrong these are very good addition, I talked to a guy that had a set on his Goldwing, and he had 40K on them. I noticed on their site they had a issue with NT setup.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I installed my MOPs and had my first chance this morning to try them out. I took a 50 mile "detour" to work, with some Interstate thrown in to see how the pegs worked.

And I am unimpressed. Maybe some of you happy owners can help me out.

• When my legs are extended and my feet on the pegs, my knees are pressed hard against the body of the bike - I feel like I am riding bow-legged. I tried putting just my toes on the pegs, but that was not comfortable as I had to use muscle power to keep my feet on the pegs. Placing my foot arches on the pegs didn't work either. Do any of you have this problem?
  • With my legs extended out, I noticed a lot of buffeting on my helmet. It took me awhile to realize that my extended legs were channeling air up the front of my body.
  • I have a Russell Day-Long saddle on my NT. Maybe this is why my knees are pressed against the bike. Anybody have both the Day-Long and the MOPs?

This is a farkle I want to like - just not doing it for me.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
. . . I'm 5'11 w a 32 inseam and my knees are never pressing on the bike unless I want them to do so. . .
Hmmm - I too have a 32" inseam and am 6 foot. I can't figure out why I am so uncomfortable with my knees scrunched against the bike. As I say, this is a farkle I want to like.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My wife hasn't complained about her legs hitting the side of the bike while using the MOPs. She has an OEM seat and has a 31" inseam. We have the MOPS on their rear most setting.

She has mentioned that there are different aero effects when she has he legs extended on the MOPS but that is pretty standard for any bike I've had with highway pegs.

I suspect BobAgain is right about the RDL. The different shape of the RDL (perhaps the "wings") may not allow your hips to open up as much as with the OEM seat causing your legs to contact the side of the fairing.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
It could be that you sit further back with your seat - all of the RDLs are custom made and I have already discovered that there is a large variability in the seat constructions. Can you sit on your seat and have the co-pilot take a picture of the contact area? My camera and boots are here, so I'll do the same right now...
Thanks for this and the photos, Bob. From what you posted, it appears my pegs are in the same position as yours. And - as I posted in another thread about the RDLs, I do seem to be sitting rearward a bit more - something I noticed when I realized I was leaning forward more than with the OEM seat.

Sorry I don't have any photos to post myself - I had to drive the cage to work today because of some other errands I need to run.

My wife hasn't complained about her legs hitting the side of the bike while using the MOPs. She has an OEM seat and has a 31" inseam. We have the MOPS on their rear most setting.

She has mentioned that there are different aero effects when she has he legs extended on the MOPS but that is pretty standard for any bike I've had with highway pegs.

I suspect BobAgain is right about the RDL. The different shape of the RDL (perhaps the "wings") may not allow your hips to open up as much as with the OEM seat causing your legs to contact the side of the fairing.
Rob - I have an idea you may be correct. After reading your post, I went out and sat on the bike - and sure enough, the wings really keep my knees in tight, whether on the MOPs or on the OEM pegs.

Looks like I'll have to play with the MOPs and RDL- and see if I can get them to work. In this case, it may be that two farkles are working against each other.

Thanx

Top Bottom