[Review] Michelin PR3

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
And that is the same reason I don't much care about putting on mega-miles. I'm going for quality over quantity in riding. The objective is to have fun not burn gas and wear out tires (and the rider).

Bike
2010 Red NT700
And that is the same reason I don't much care about putting on mega-miles. I'm going for quality over quantity in riding. The objective is to have fun not burn gas and wear out tires (and the rider).
I agree, but when you live on the plains, its a long ride to the Quality locales

Id4rob

I have 12,000 miles on my PR3 front tire and it looks as if it has several thousand more to go. This equals the lifespan of the last two front tires combined, an 020 and an 023. The only thing I've found that might be better is the PR4 on the back.

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Just replaced the PR3 front (with the PR4s.) At 18,000 miles now, but probably could have been replaced it at 17,000. Looking forward to seeing how far the PR4s will take me (Michelin says just as good weather performance AND better, longer wear.) I've kept track of the mileage on the different tires I've had on the NT:

The parentheses indicate when I SHOULD have replaced the tires. I don't tear it up anywhere (wouldn't know how, would just get myself killed), one reason for the pretty high mileage. Also, I don't worry much when the tires start getting flat at the middle, so long as I still have enough tread and I don't feel a bumpy ride from any scalloping.)

The PR3s were great. Excellent tire on curvy roads, even in the rain. Would definitely recommend them for anyone, even those folks that tear it up everywhere.

Bridgestone 020s (OEM): Front, 12,000 (replaced at 14,000); Rear, 12,000 (replaced at 14,000)

Michelin PR3s: Front, 17,000 (replaced at 18,000); Rear, 15,000 (replaced at 16,000)

Michelin PR4s: Front, ?; Rear, ?

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Yes PR4 are better than PR3 in wear and don't square as much. handle just as good as PR3, can't tell difference. PR4's get better mileage, just as they say. here is my tire chart....updated as of 5-24-15

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Based on the (2) rear PR3's on average the PR4 got 28% better mileage and I think Michelin claims a 20% improvement in wear for the PR4's. Looks good to me. Still have some miles left on my PR3's but PR4's will be my next set of tires for sure.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I didn't get that good rear mileage, but my guess is that might have something to do with how many miles are ridden at 80mph in hot weather.

PR4s are my tire of choice so far.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I just replaced both the front and rear tires. The rear was a PR4, and the front a PR3.

I got 19,748 on the front PR3 - and there was still a respectable amount of tread left. I replaced it with a PR4.

While I do commute with my NT, it's only a 22 mile round trip, and since it is merely a part-time job of three days a week, most of my miles come from trips. With Texas' 75 mph speed limits (even on many rural two-lane roads) and a loaded top box and equally loaded panniers, and on chip seal road surfaces, I'm satisfied with the mileage.

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Woodaddict (3/18/15 post)

Wow, even more anal than me! I just gotta stop checking the mileage on the tires, but I can't help myself. I think it has to do with figuring out if the higher price is made up for by the higher mileage.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm glad you guys are getting such good mileage.

I replaced my front PR4 today with a previously used PR3. I've only gotten 11,000 out of my last two PR4 fronts. I probably could have gotten another 2K out of the tire I took off today, but didn't feel confident about trying for over 3,000 at BBG pace.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I know this is a PR3 thread, but I have been a bit disappointed in the mileage I've had with my PR4s. My last rear PR4 got 13,666 miles on it, while the PR3 it replaced got 13,616 - essentially the same mileage. But, as I say three posts above this, I'm still satisfied.

I wonder if the GT version might do better. I know its designed for heavy weight bikes like a GW, but possibly, with the bike fully loaded as mine usually is, and at higher speeds, perhaps it would help a bit.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I don't think the tread is any different on the GT tire. I think it just has a stiffer side wall to support the greater weight. I believe they also use both bias-ply and radial construction. It would probably not hurt anything to give them a try but I would think you will experience a firmer ride with them.

I found this on the Michelin website as an answer to the question can you put the GT tire on a non GT motorcycle. Its not clear however how they define a GT motorcycle but they reference the BMW R1200RT

No. The GT version of the
MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 tire is
only for use with GT bikes, even
if a standard bike is carrying a
heavy load.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
No. The GT version of the
MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 tire is
only for use with GT bikes, even
if a standard bike is carrying a
heavy load.
Like the tire is going to know if it's on a "GT" bike? If it fits, anything can wear it. It might not be worth the extra money, but it'll work on a bike like ours, I'd think.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I think someone on this forum mentioned that they were using the PR4 GT on their NT. Its hard to believe that it would be much of a detriment on the other hand I doubt if it would be much of an improvement over the standard PR4 either.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
With 8K on my PR3 I thinking about getting new PR4 before the Road Runner Weekend in July. I don't think I ever got 8K out of tires. Most of my tires have been for my 84 RT which of course has much smaller size, so I don't get that mileage out of them.
'll put the take offs in garage just in case someone riding near flats and needs a tire to get home. I try and keep the last set just for that purpose, never had anyone need them but just in case.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
'll put the take offs in garage just in case someone riding near flats and needs a tire to get home. I try and keep the last set just for that purpose, never had anyone need them but just in case.
What a GREAT idea

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Got home from the rally and checked my PR3s. The front looks great and has lots of tread left at 12,500 mi. and if you look close, it has a bit of odd "cupping" (for lack of a better word) but the bike goes down the road straight as an arrow with hands off the bars.
The rear looks worn but serviceable from afar but has lots of odd wear patterns up close. After I return from my Reno trip (roughtly 1800 miles) I am thinking of putting on a pair of PR4s. Or just putting on a PR4 on the rear. Anything wrong with that? Or should you not mix
generations......

(Dirt on tires is from freshly oiled road)
Here are two pics of the current tires at 12.5 K and two ref. pics from when they had 8,000 on them.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You won't have any trouble because you mix generations. Go for it.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I rarely put on new tires until the wear bars are wearing (unless I have a long trip coming up).

Most front tires will have cupping of some sort because it is being 'pushed' all the time due to braking loads. The rear depends a lot on how you ride it. Mostly it will just square off.

Top Bottom