Maybe trying a tablet

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am thinking of trying a tablet instead of just using my smart phone when I travel. For instance, for reading books etc that are only available as PDFs.
I dont know what I need, really. a 10 inch screen for sure, and a USB- C so I can use Windows explorer to move files around. And charge things fast.
Any ideas on what I should look for?

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Not sure how objective this might be, but it will show you what's out there:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Still sticking to my ol' Toshiba NB510 netbook since I'm running Garmin MapSource for managing my routes (and maps) on the fly...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I was given a Google Kindle many years ago and loved it. It was small enough to carry almost anywhere and always accompanied me to dentist & doctor appts. It finally died so I had the battery replaced by Batteries Plus which last a bit more than a year then when it started to go south, I popped for a new Kindle ($99). It's the low-end model and has the same size screen as my original but the outside edges are narrower so it's smaller overall.

I only use my Kindle for reading books and nothing else.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I too have a Kindle Fire and take it with me on all my travels. I also subscribe to Kindle Unlimited for $9.95/month which gives me numerous free books, magazine subscriptions and newspaper subscriptions. I also use it for email and surfing the net. It requires a wi-fi connection which is usually available whereever I travel.

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I would just buy the cheapest 10" android tablet on amazon you can find, there's a million of them. It will connect via wifi and you can install apps needed for reading what you need.

Make sure it accepts memory cards in case the built-in memory isn't enough over time and check the reviews, battery life is usually great on these but also charge pretty quick via USB or 110v cord.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Hmm, before I'd buy a tablet I'd buy a cheap Chrome laptop. Still Android OS but with a real keyboard in a package near the same size. Just as functional and probably a bit cheaper since it isn't as "sexy" as a tablet.

I agree about the cheap Chromebook. The real keyboard is a real advantage and they fold up to about the same size.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hmm, before I'd buy a tablet I'd buy a cheap Chrome laptop. Still Android OS but with a real keyboard in a package near the same size. Just as functional and probably a bit cheaper since it isn't as "sexy" as a tablet.
Good point... but, then you want a lighted keyboard. I have a laptop that meets all that but still take the tablet as I don't find I actually type all that much and a keyboard on a 10-12 inch laptop is pretty hard to type on in my case... I prefer 14 min and that's tight also... The tablet is really just a big no-sim phone in my case.. .lol

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I acutally have a solid state Windows 11 chrome laptop with an HDMI output so I can hook it up to my big screen , turn on the VPN, and watch figure skating from around the world. But its a bit bigger than I want. I drug out my ancient 7 in Samsung circa 2016, transfered that stiring best seller, " Japan Targeting Strajety", US Air War College, Maxwell AFB, 150 pages. It is readable but clearly I need a 10 inch. While a lap top is superior with its capabilities, I want something i can put in a back pack, in a fake leather case, and not have to worry about. I will try the 7 in on a trip with my wife to Helena for a 3 day dog show and see if I use it. I will look up a Chrome laptop that has an Android Op. system, like RedLdr1 said. Mine has Windows 11. I am so old I prefer paper and DVDs but some stuff you cant get on paper anymore. I will have to have Frosty explain how to get movies at some point. Thanks for all your help.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I would just buy the cheapest 10" android tablet on amazon you can find, there's a million of them. It will connect via wifi and you can install apps needed for reading what you need.

Make sure it accepts memory cards in case the built-in memory isn't enough over time and check the reviews, battery life is usually great on these but also charge pretty quick via USB or 110v cord.
All my cell phones get SD cards when I buy them to store photos. My cell phones have 5 amp hour bats and with USB-C, they have a rapid charge mode and they charge pretty quick. The wall bugs do run warm but not dangerously so. They have digital readouts of output voltage and three USB outlets. I think many tablets have some form of PDF reader already....even my 2016 Samsung has a suite called "Polaris" that reads them. Thanks!

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
This thread could become like an oil or tires conversation.
I’ve been using Apple /Mac since ‘93. Never looked back after a REALLY bad time with Microsoft DOS.
Bought my first iPad about a year after they were introduced. On my fourth one now. Intuitive, reliable.
Didn’t get an iPhone until they brought out the low price SE model. Cheaper than the flagship models but just as useful and reliable.
I strongly dislike Apple’s political stance, but they have the best engineered products in my opinion.
YMMV

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
On my 3rd wifi Samsung Tablet in the past decade or so. I upgrade when Costco has a good one on sale. Current one has a cover with stylus (light?) pen, USB C, phone jack, micro sd. If I need to connect to internet w/o wifi, I use iphone as a personal hot spot. I use the Kindle app for books. Also Hoop[a for free Library books.

Top Bottom