Tesla insurance

I'm no attorney, nor did I spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I would have to say that the homeowners insurance company is on the hook for the house and the auto insurance company is on the hook for the Tesla. If the Tesla fire was not caused by the storm surge, I think a case could be made for Tesla's liability for the whole claim. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Mike

Just a possibility…. Each insurer will probably cite their own experts and say the other company is responsible for the whole amount, the Tesla insurer will say the fire started in the house, and the homeowners insurer will say it started in the Tesla.

Big fun for the lawyers. Add this wrinkle:

"Standard homeowners, condo owners, and renters insurance policies do not cover flood damage, including damage from a storm surge. Flood coverage requires a separate policy from the federally backed National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or a private flood insurer." ... but vehicle comprehensive should cover vehicle damage due to flood ... house damage due to vehicle ???

Probably varies from state to state.

Just a possibility…. Each insurer will probably cite their own experts and say the other company is responsible for the whole amount, the Tesla insurer will say the fire started in the house, and the homeowners insurer will say it started in the Tesla.
I saw a home security cam video a day or two ago that showed a Tesla in a garage which was flooding. The undercarraige of the Tesla burst into flames and the fire spread to the structure. I think this is the instance the article is referring to. The owner's garage cam captured everything. Frosty is correct about flood coverage which a lot of folks are not aware of. I have a specific flood rider on my policy... This rider BTW would not be available to me if I lived in a Federally recognized flood plain.

Mike

If your Tesla burns down your house, which insurance pays?
View attachment 22304
If your Tesla burns down your house, which insurance pays?
View attachment 22304
The homeowners policy is primary for the house and the car policy takes car of the car.
There is a separate deductible for each claim.
The insurance carrier will hire a cause and origin expert. That person will invite a Tesla representative to participate. If the cause can be determined the insurance company will subrogate on the behalf of the insured.
If sub is successful the homeowner will be reimbursed for his deductible.
Tesla probably has an insurance company.
If Tesla accepts responsibility the will reimburse the insurance company. If they dispute the cause it is likely that the insurance company will file a claim through arbitration forums. That entity will make a decision that is binding on both parties.

I saw a home security cam video a day or two ago that showed a Tesla in a garage which was flooding. The undercarraige of the Tesla burst into flames and the fire spread to the structure. I think this is the instance the article is referring to. The owner's garage cam captured everything. Frosty is correct about flood coverage which a lot of folks are not aware of. I have a specific flood rider on my policy... This rider BTW would not be available to me if I lived in a Federally recognized flood plain.

Mike
I saw that video also. They mentioned that it was saltwater, but I would bet that good old "crick water" would do it too. The Tesla had such a nice CRACKLE as it was sparking and burning.
If you have one, better put it in a plastic bag when it rains.

Everything I own is insured by State Farm insurance. Home. Vehicles. Umbrella. Etc. 100%
Of the several claims I’ve had over the years, I just call my agent and say “take care of it”. He is paid well to do just that.
There wouldn’t be any argument between vehicle and homeowners policy with only one insurer.
However, after seeing many videos of battery powered vehicles burning to the ground in spite of heroic firefighters, there aren’t ANY battery vehicles in my fleet. Never will be.
Rich

Everything I own is insured by State Farm insurance. Home. Vehicles. Umbrella. Etc. 100%
Of the several claims I’ve had over the years, I just call my agent and say “take care of it”. He is paid well to do just that.
There wouldn’t be any argument between vehicle and homeowners policy with only one insurer.
However, after seeing many videos of battery powered vehicles burning to the ground in spite of heroic firefighters, there aren’t ANY battery vehicles in my fleet. Never will be.
Rich
I agree. Salt water and electric cars, or any car, doesnt mix well. Many questions to answer at this point. I have talked with enough lawyers about aviation accidnets that each accident is unique.
If a salt water storm surge comes into a garaage and lights up the Tesla, all sorts of senarios come into play. One thing is for sure.....with the gulf warmer than it is ever been, this wont be the last storm of this type.

In reading the meteorologists rehash the storm, they were astounded with the amount of water that Helene dumped inland. None of the weather gurus that I am aware of expected the deluge which caught everyone off guard.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom