Some Japanese motorcycle models may be discontinued in the near future

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The Tokyo city/prefecture already has a law in place that would make it extremely difficult to operate an ICE-powered vehicle starting from 2025 which is just around the corner.

Yeah, read that already...
They're getting quite crazy everywhere...
Whilst satellite data (Ventusky) not showing Europe or North America as pollution hot-spots... central Africa, India, Indonesia, Korea, China, some areas in South America however are...

I guess it's because I'm an olde farte who is just set in my ways, but I just can't get excited about non-ICE vehicles. I have grown to love the sound of a well designed and tuned ICE do its thing. I have grown to love the smell of a two stroke outboard when I go to the lake. I went to a NASCAR race earlier in the month and sat in the stands trying to imagine what it would be like if the cars were electrically powered..... it just wouldn't be the same.... the sound of 42 600+HP cars going by at 180 MPH is just awesome. Electric motors just cannot replace the sound of the Honda powered Indy cars screaming past.....

It will be a sad day indeed when the sound of the ICE will be silenced forever.....

Mike

Looks like something that would be fun to play with...

Electrics can do some things but it ain't the same. Everything changes and some things change pretty fast.
Will see where all this goes in the future.

Arknt

Will see where all this goes in the future.
They all do run quite some marketing there... :rolleyes:

Wanna peek yourself?

Whilst satellite data (Ventusky) not showing Europe or North America as pollution hot-spots..

I've been using Windy site for the same information for years. Ventusky was blocked at work, which is odd because our work is weather dependent. Simply look at PM2.5, PM10, SO2, Nox, Ozone, and CO. Elementary school kids could see the problem.

I am with Mike. Thankfully, even if e bikes take hold due to the new battery technology coming down the pike, I a glad I will soon die and there are enough ice engined bikes to see me to the end.
Any politician who thinks they will make us all use e bikes, e quads, e-pickups, e boats by outlawing our old bikes is touching the third rail and will be toast in one election cycle. A huge infrastructure would be needed to be in place before you even could think about outlawing ice legacy equipment. Every motel in the country would need charging stations, for instance. The wet dream of a total ice free society is far down the road... So how is your e honda generator gonna work when you camp at a national forest campground to charge your e bike? Rubish.
Chris who says no to coal fired ebikes

Can you see the E-generation of Motoheads. They will be soup-ing up their cars by rewinding the electric motors and changing battery packs. No more noisy exhaust systems. No more timing advances, no more Nitrous bottles. etc. A bit boring if you ask me. Just over size slot cars.

Can you see the E-generation of Motoheads. They will be soup-ing up their cars by rewinding the electric motors and changing battery packs. No more noisy exhaust systems. No more timing advances, no more Nitrous bottles. etc. A bit boring if you ask me. Just over size slot cars.

They will have huge speakers and large subwoofers. In the instrument cluster there will be a slot for an SD card where the owner inserts his chosen sound effects card. They will have a competition as to who has the best, loudest sounding ICE track. A dB meter will be used to judge. The Iron Butt Association will have been replaced by the Iron Watt Association whereupon E-bike riders will compete to see who can travel the farthest in 24 hours using the Federal E-Vehicle charging infrastructure.

Of course, I will be dead by then........

Mike

On a friend's Tesla 3, it was chilly, so she brought up a roaring fireplace on the big central screen, and then all the seats warmed up. Someone had to program that feature... imagine...

100 years from now if we haven’t blown each other up people will look back at the insanity and unsustainably of ICE. The sound and smell of an ICE will be the equivalent of what we think of smelly feces spewing horses to commute to work on today.

I don't want to see the Zero/Tesla/video game model continue, though. Paying to unlock features already on the bike (heated grips, faster charging, better efficiency). You can spend $7K unlocking everything offered on a Zero.

The market will teach the manufacturers a lesson, in time. Yes, I think there is a market for electric cars and maybe bikes, commuter cars to and from work or groceries stores. But how many families can afford to own an expensive car for such focused usability. Some, but not many, I think. Plus, if the government stops subsidizing these companies and buyers, the market gets even smaller. Then hopefully the stockholders of these companies will send the Leaders and board members packing. I lived in Minnesota for many years and electric cars and cold winters / hot summers don't mix. Plus, plus they are dangerous to work on, dangerous for police or firemen, the batteries use a great deal of precious metals, and environmentally extremely bad. Maybe they can pile the old batteries next to the immense piles of old, fiberglass wind generator propellers. The market deep sixed electric cars as a "replacement" for gas powered cars once and it will happen again. Small, niche market only, for the rich.

I thought this was interesting:

83153368-159E-4263-81C4-50488702A874.png

New vehicles are beyond overpriced gas or electric. Continuing to ignore or minimize the consequences of the continued use of fossil fuels is a fools errand. We are the only biological species on earth actively hastening our demise.

I thought this was interesting:

View attachment 19438

New vehicles are beyond overpriced gas or electric. Continuing to ignore or minimize the consequences of the continued use of fossil fuels is a fools errand. We are the only biological species on earth actively hastening our demise
With all due respect, I'm somewhat skeptical of the notion that the continued use of fossil fuels will cause our demise. The elevated levels of CO2 that they are forecasting have been seen before on our planet as have the elevated temps and sea levels. Societal Cassandras have been forecasting doom since the beginning of time and so far they have (thankfully) failed to materialize. Weaning ourselves off of fossil fuels is inevitable, but it should be done with consideration of the impact on society and the economy rather than a knee jerk reaction to the wailing of those who are basing their judgement on emotion rather than rational thought.

Mike

Opinions are multiple and diverse but facts and science can not be denied, they can be politicized and minimized to suit a political agenda.

Science told us to take lead out of fuel because we were poisoning ourselves, the auto industry survived. Catalytic converters and increasing smog regulations have not made ICE into horrible vehicles, the are better than ever and we are breathing cleaner air. Climate change has been known and studied for 50 years, smart science is not some sort of knee jerk reaction.

Back
Top Bottom