Possible New 2010 NT 700 owner

Bike
2010 silver NT700, KLR
Hi, I'm new to forum. A buddy in Canada crashed his primo US model silver 2010 NT700, 20k miles. He will gift it to me. I saw it over the weekend, unfortunetly I did not take photo's. A lot off plastic is broken, especially rear left saddle bag gone with surrounding plastic, right saddle bag might be repaired??, foot pegs are gone (mounts good), handlbars shot. He assumes the frame is not bent or forks. Not sure what to do with it if I were to get it. I could use for a road bike as I have only a KLR for ADV. Sell it as it? or make a Mad Max bike out of it?? Any photo's on damaged bikes repaired without the stock bags or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

If your intent is to restore it to its original state then be advised that many of the plastic pieces are no longer available thru Honda. That said, with only 20K miles, the drivetrain is barely broken in. Several folks, principally on the UK forum (deauvilleuk.org) have creatively modified the NT to carry luggage using aftermarket panniers, etc. As a freebie, you can't argue about the price and you would have an enjoyable street bike.

Good Luck!

Mike

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to forum. A buddy in Canada crashed his primo US model silver 2010 NT700, 20k miles. He will gift it to me. I saw it over the weekend, unfortunetly I did not take photo's. A lot off plastic is broken, especially rear left saddle bag gone with surrounding plastic, right saddle bag might be repaired??, foot pegs are gone (mounts good), handlbars shot. He assumes the frame is not bent or forks. Not sure what to do with it if I were to get it. I could use for a road bike as I have only a KLR for ADV. Sell it as it? or make a Mad Max bike out of it?? Any photo's on damaged bikes repaired without the stock bags or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott
Boy, that is a tough one. You doing anything this winter? I suppose you could buy a beater and use the plastic and maybe the forks off of that. Wheels bent? Pics would be good. Have your bud take them and send them. I dont know the ins and outs of importing a bike from canada that was previously in the US so you need to check with your friendly local ISP. What I would do personally since the junk yards are not exactly full of these is to get it cobbled together so It is rideable and make sure the engine and frame and forks and final drive are still good. Depending on the collision, you really never know. We need pics. If nothing else, it could be parted out for a chunk of change.

Thanks to both of you for the reply and the suggestion on the UK forum. I did not even think about going the new parts route because of cost. Getting the bike through customs is the first hurdle. I enquired at the border when I came back into the states. Seems a bill of sale is it, but establishing a value for duty might be, this to be done at the border crossing. Maybe best to have a bill of sale with some dollar amount that exchanged hands. I would love to have a winter project, but I'm worried now about bent frame, forks, etc. Handlebars and footpegs would be all that is needed for a test ride. Still thinking about this project. Mike, this bike belongs to Larry in Kaslo, BC. He got busted up pretty good and is now on two legs with a cane. By spring he should be back in the saddle. Thank you all. I'll post the decsion that I come to.

Thanks to both of you for the reply and the suggestion on the UK forum. I did not even think about going the new parts route because of cost. Getting the bike through customs is the first hurdle. I enquired at the border when I came back into the states. Seems a bill of sale is it, but establishing a value for duty might be, this to be done at the border crossing. Maybe best to have a bill of sale with some dollar amount that exchanged hands. I would love to have a winter project, but I'm worried now about bent frame, forks, etc. Handlebars and footpegs would be all that is needed for a test ride. Still thinking about this project. Mike, this bike belongs to Larry in Kaslo, BC. He got busted up pretty good and is now on two legs with a cane. By spring he should be back in the saddle. Thank you all. I'll post the decsion that I come to.
Pics from someone would be helpful. And hitting the ISP office and asking about titling. I worked for WSP over in Spokane and our VIN lane and licensing requirments could be very strict.

Pics from someone would be helpful. And hitting the ISP office and asking about titling. I worked for WSP over in Spokane and our VIN lane and licensing requirments could be very strict.
Coyote, thanks for the tip. I'll check out ISP and DMV. I have requested photos of the damaged areas of the NT.

Back
Top Bottom