Pannier latches maintenance ?

Bike
2009 NT700 Deauville
Is there a way to grease, lube or otherwise effectively maintain the pannier latches to keep them in good working order?

Is there a way to grease, lube or otherwise effectively maintain the pannier latches to keep them in good working order?
On my GF's NT I clean the cables and kinematic with brake cleaner, dry with the air nozzle and apply some silicone spray for lubrication without attracting dirt and dust...

Jon, periodic cleaning and lubrication will increase the longevity of the latching system. I use a graphite based lock lubricant as it does not attract dirt and is also good to use in the lock cylinders on the rest of the bike. Also, remember to "gently" close the pannier lids by depressing the lid in the upper center of the lid until you hear it "click" into place. Finally, periodically inspect the molded plastic bosses that the lid hasps are screwed into and look for signs of cracking. Reinforce these bosses with an epoxy such as JB Weld. Even if they don't show signs of cracking (yet) it's a good idea to reinforce the bosses before the cracking occurs (and it will). Hope this helps!

Mike

Jon, periodic cleaning and lubrication will increase the longevity of the latching system. I use a graphite based lock lubricant as it does not attract dirt and is also good to use in the lock cylinders on the rest of the bike. Also, remember to "gently" close the pannier lids by depressing the lid in the upper center of the lid until you hear it "click" into place. Finally, periodically inspect the molded plastic bosses that the lid hasps are screwed into and look for signs of cracking. Reinforce these bosses with an epoxy such as JB Weld. Even if they don't show signs of cracking (yet) it's a good idea to reinforce the bosses before the cracking occurs (and it will). Hope this helps!

Mike
Thank you Mike

When I bought my bike, the latches on one side were already broken and the PO installed other latches. I removed the latching hardware from the other lid and installed matching latches.20241007_182110.jpg

As Mike said I would strongly suggest reinforcing the plastic lid bosses with epoxy or similar. The plastic is brittle enough that they will likely crack. Prevent problems before they crack.

Arknt

As Mike said I would strongly suggest reinforcing the plastic lid bosses with epoxy or similar. The plastic is brittle enough that they will likely crack. Prevent problems before they crack.

Arknt

Do it now :) don't wait , i waited and am living with the consequences...

The stock latches on my lids all became loose this summer. I also discovered the left side plastic had previously broken, and the PO had done an admirable, if not long-lasting, job of rebuilding the bosses with JB Weld.
I removed the lids, so they could lay flat, and filled the braced areas around the bosses with casting resin. I also filled the bosses themselves and set the screws in the wet resin.

Back
Top Bottom