NT700 Buzziness vs other bikes

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
BLUF: How buzzy is the NT700 vs other bikes (you’ve had)?

Background: I’m new to motorcycles, so I have nothing to compare with the NT700 experience. I’ve had my NT about a year now and finally done some 5 hr days on the bike. It buzzes a bit through the handle bars, a bit through the feet, and if I sit way forward, really buzzes through the stock seat. What are other bikes like? I live in Topeka, so not a lot of bikes to try out. Thanks in advance for the discussion.

Last edited:
When this was discussed in the past it seemed some NT's were a lot more buzzy than others. Mine wasn't too bad. For the grip tingles, and a more comfortable hold, I installed a set of Grab On foam grips that worked fine even with the Honda heated grips. See Here.

Compared to my 2000 GSXR-750, 2004 SV650, and 2010 Griso; I've never had any problems with the NT's buzziness. In fact I've never even noticed.

My last bike was a Honda Goldwing....so everything is buzzier:rofl1:

I don't really find the NT700 that bad. I did install the foam grips though since the former owner install billet aluminum grips. They looked very nice, but made high speed riding hand numbing. I actually get very little "buzzy" from the seat.

Hmm, I wonder. What are the speeds compared to those who noticed buzziness vs. those who don't notice ?
Myself, since the NT is a 5-speed, I ride it slower than my other bikes.

When I had my 2000 GSXR-750; I was the jerk in the left lane passing everyone; doing like 80 mph.
With my Griso; I do a mixture of center and right lane; doing between 55 and 80.
With my NT; I'm almost always in the right lane doing 55.

Before I bought my NT, I had an '83 GL650i Silverwing (pretty smooth), and then two '99 Kawasaki Concours, buzzier than the Silverwing, with a reputation that to me always seemed far worse than it deserved. I haven't really ever noticed the NT being buzzy, but I've always had bar risers, and almost all the time Russell saddles. Unlike ett above, on the roads out this way, I've been in either lane on Interstates, running 80-85 and New Mexico, Arizona, and West
Texas, running 90mph. On two lanes I usually ride 70-75, and back east, most often 60-65mph. I've never felt like the 5-speed transmission restricts my speed as much as the absolute power does. I think the 5-speed matches the power across the rpm range almost perfectly.

Thanks all. Maybe it’s my speeds, or maybe I’m expecting something I shouldn’t. My highway speeds are 65-85 out here in Kansas and surrounding areas.

Before I bought my NT, I had an '83 GL650i Silverwing (pretty smooth), and then two '99 Kawasaki Concours, buzzier than the Silverwing, with a reputation that to me always seemed far worse than it deserved. I haven't really ever noticed the NT being buzzy, but I've always had bar risers, and almost all the time Russell saddles. Unlike ett above, on the roads out this way, I've been in either lane on Interstates, running 80-85 and New Mexico, Arizona, and West
Texas, running 90mph. On two lanes I usually ride 70-75, and back east, most often 60-65mph. I've never felt like the 5-speed transmission restricts my speed as much as the absolute power does. I think the 5-speed matches the power across the rpm range almost perfectly.
Right there with ya Phil on the NT. Just got back from your area on Friday. 6321 miles, over 24 days. I'm just short of 100,000 miles now and still love my NT.

Having a 6th gear might not increase the top speed but it would reduce RPM when running 70-75 MPH. Conversely, the NT's engine doesn't seem to mind running above 5k RPM for hours on end. :)

We've discussed buzziness many times before, mostly years ago when the bikes were new to all of us. The buzziness, it seems to me, is more subjective than actual. It mostly depends on your previous motorcycle experience and your expectations. I find that my NT is not buzzy at all and can ride for hours on end at elevated highway speeds, YMMV. My old Yamaha XS650? Now, that's BUZZY! It seems that buzzy was engineered into the bike to emulate the Brit bikes.

Mike

Right there with ya Phil on the NT. Just got back from your area on Friday. 6321 miles, over 24 days. I'm just short of 100,000 miles now and still love my NT.
Duane, when you make that 100K milestone, let me know and I'll get you one of the semi-cherished 100K NT stickers. I'll be back in the USA on the 27th and will take a few days to adjust to the time change, but then I'll be ready to get you a sticker.

Have had many bikes. Buzziness is extremely subjective and varies bike to bike, even same model. Smoothest bike I've had- st1300.

I find most i4s give off a tingle I don't like. Bandit, 919, versys 1000 - all "smooth" bikes, per the interwebs. I find the nt's distant paintshaker feel much less offensive than the tickly tingle of a 919 as it vibrates through it's tingly spot. I do have the heavy helibar riser and an RDL, as well as foam grips, so I guess they probably help too.

I find the rubber mounted Harleys and buells wonderful from a smoothness perspective, and the motors try to exit the frames at idle - but the frequency is endearing, not offensive (to me.)

FYI, I've ridden several ST13s, and one vibrated noticably more than the 0 of the others.

Have had many bikes. Buzziness is extremely subjective and varies bike to bike, even same model. Smoothest bike I've had- st1300.

I find most i4s give off a tingle I don't like. Bandit, 919, versys 1000 - all "smooth" bikes, per the interwebs. I find the nt's distant paintshaker feel much less offensive than the tickly tingle of a 919 as it vibrates through it's tingly spot. I do have the heavy helibar riser and an RDL, as well as foam grips, so I guess they probably help too.

I find the rubber mounted Harleys and buells wonderful from a smoothness perspective, and the motors try to exit the frames at idle - but the frequency is endearing, not offensive (to me.)

FYI, I've ridden several ST13s, and one vibrated noticably more than the 0 of the others.
Always been interested in Buells, initially because they seem to deviate from conventional motorcycle design formulas. Would like to ride one someday.

Always been interested in Buells, initially because they seem to deviate from conventional motorcycle design formulas. Would like to ride one someday.

I rode a Buell, don't remember the model, at a motorcycle rally in Phoenix years ago, it shook really bad, got stuck in Phoenix traffic and it seemed like forever to get that beast back to the rally site, never had any inclination to ride a Buell again.

I have ridden a few Buells. The XB series are fabulous (to me.) I had a 2009 Firebolt XB12r and it is my most missed bike. Good handling, torquey, reliable, and the best way to produce about 90hp. They are a little quirky. Best/smoothest on/off throttle with the high tension belt.

I rode a blast that I'm assuming didn't run properly and had a similar experience to coaster. Basically unrideable, difficult to ride, unpleasant vibes, no power. Erik Buell was interviewed about the Blast once, and apparently despised it himself.

When I had my 2000 GSXR-750; I was the jerk in the left lane passing everyone; doing like 80 mph.

Huh? You weren't a jerk doing that. Left lane is for passing.

Jerks in the left lane are those just cruising, impeding traffic and occasionally setting rolling road blocks as they pace a car in the right lane.

Good question. There is a buzz but its pretty constant and predictible. Not bad. Not as smooth as a wee strom, FJR or VFR of course, but not like the BMW GT 800, that had two buzz ranges that drove me crazy. The 1960s Triumphs and motoguzzis were awefull.

Mine seems a little louder since changing the oil this past spring. I used Rotella T6 5W40. (My CX500 and GL650 run great on T6 15W40.)
Next change, I'll try the Honda branded, spec'd oil and see if it smooths out again.

Back
Top Bottom