Nice Hack: Rain and Summer seat cover

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Sometimes, when riding in summer OR parked in rain, I wished to put on a seat cover on my seat. Today I discovered that my old Hiking Bag Rain cover fits perfectly and are like $5 on Walmart... in diff colors too...

Folds to size of soda can, so can carry and put on when parked ... will keep the seat cool and dry ...

20241003_160826 NT SeatCover.jpg

Why not cover the rest of NT plastics when parked and keep off the UV? I pack lightweight half covers with all my bikes if they will be sitting in a parking lot at work or outside a hotel. They pack down small and take just a minute to deploy. Just search Amazon for "motorcycle half covers". For the NT you'll probably want a XL size.

Since my NT lived outdoors and it was my everyday commuter I carried a half cover in my top box and whenever it was parked I put the half cover on it. It is a Nelson Rigg brand and was silver which helped reflect the sun. After selling my NT I still use that cover for my XMAX and even though I now have a garage i still put the cover over it which keeps the dust and bugs off it.

LOLS... this is always the question :)

HOA bans any sort of cover on bike/vehicles in any open parking area (yes even my own drive way) + I have to move my bikes every 5 days to a new parking spot ... as they don't want people storing vehicles + some jealous people are complaining to HOA and keeping me honest... have already been fined a lot of $$$ .. cant wait to get out of this community ... šŸ˜­

Actually the Half-cover is a good idea for travel ... I think the PO did give me one, only if I can find it in my tiny overstuffed tiny garage :wave1:

Sunny

Since my NT lived outdoors and it was my everyday commuter I carried a half cover in my top box and whenever it was parked I put the half cover on it. It is a Nelson Rigg brand and was silver which helped reflect the sun. After selling my NT I still use that cover for my XMAX and even though I now have a garage i still put the cover over it which keeps the dust and bugs off it.

The downside to the lightweightness is they should be considered a consumable. Nelson Riggs last around a year or less with regular use. Eventually they start shedding the seam tape liner and loops loose their stretch. My last XL from the NT days using on a cruiser now failed a few weeks ago The bottom perimeter stretch part failed.

I'm trying a random Amazon "brand" one now. Not expecting it to last any longer, but it was cheaper.

I have a single car garage - my riding mower and my bike live inside. Have a double carport for the 4 wheelers.

The downside to the lightweightness is they should be considered a consumable. Nelson Riggs last around a year or less with regular use. Eventually they start shedding the seam tape liner and loops loose their stretch. My last XL from the NT days using on a cruiser now failed a few weeks ago The bottom perimeter stretch part failed.

I'm trying a random Amazon "brand" one now. Not expecting it to last any longer, but it was cheaper.
Very true. Mine would only last about a year. The biggest reason for that is I rode in the winter. Taking the cover off and folding it up when it was frozen caused cracks to eventually form. Initially I would put duct tape over them but eventually it got so bad I had the pitch it and but a new one. I did go through several other brands in the 9 years I commuted on the NT but most did not last any longer. I found it a worthwhile investment however as it did a good job in protecting the NT from the UV rays from the hot Tennessee sun.

Back
Top Bottom