Bug in my bonnet

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
For reference, in the UK Yellow Jackets are called Wasps. The name Yellow Jacket is unknown.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Out of caution I typed my boots upside-down and bunch of huge red ants fell out.
Fire ants are ants with an attitude. Like some bees/wasps are worse than others fire ants have a real mean streak.
If you step on one of their mounds they will crawl up your leg, then one of them puts out a signal and they all bike you at once. The bites leave small white blistery spots. They are migrating northward. They hitch rides on railroad cars that sit in fire ant land then the car gets hooked up and pulled to another area for the critters to set up camp. So you northern folk be a bit more cautious near railroad tracks and such.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
For reference, in the UK Yellow Jackets are called Wasps. The name Yellow Jacket is unknown.
John, we have a multitude of different wasps here in the US. The Yellow Jacket name merely denotes a certain variety. Is there only one variety of wasp in the UK?

Mike

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
John, we have a multitude of different wasps here in the US. The Yellow Jacket name merely denotes a certain variety. Is there only one variety of wasp in the UK?

Mike
Wasps are just wasps in the UK regardless of variety (I'm assuming there are varieties of wasp as I haven't checked).

Having said that, we also have Hornets (which might be classified in the same genus), which are larger and much more fierce. They come in a number of different varieties, some (Asian Hornets) even more terrible than others...

Having now done a little research I was wrong about Yellowjackets, they are actually a type of Hornet.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Your post also prompted me to research wasps and I was astounded to learn how many varieties of wasp there really are. Hornets and Yellow Jackets are the really nasty ones. I have read where the Asian hornet has invaded the western states and they apparently have a real bad attitude.

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
We have the "murder" or Asian hornet here in Georgia, it isn't just out west. Gotta love having Hartsfield airport importing everything from everywhere and the Savannah port picking up any slack from Hartsfield. :rolleyes:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
We have the "murder" or Asian hornet here in Georgia, it isn't just out west. Gotta love having Hartsfield airport importing everything from everywhere and the Savannah port picking up any slack from Hartsfield. :rolleyes:
Wow! The last I heard/read was that so far (and that was a couple of years ago) the Asian hornet had been confined to Washington state. If it's in GA, there's probably no stopping it now :eek1:

Mike

Top Bottom